Thursday, May 1, 2014

How John Green Gave Me 1,000 Lives

January 29th, 2014 my life changed forever. This was the day that John Green gave me 1,000 lives. 

As a kid, my imagination ran wild while reading books. I was fascinated by the stories of Junie B. Jones, The Boxcar Children, and The Hardy Boys. It wasn't until the fateful day I picked up my first book written by John Green that I truly discovered my love for reading. 

As you may know, John Green is the author of the bestselling book The Fault in our Stars. On a whim, I bought the book not expecting it to impact me in any way. 313 pages later, the book had captivated me. TFIOS was witty, heart warming, romantic, tragic, and filled with optimism. The story of Hazel and Augustus released every single emotion I have ever felt in 313 pages. I was given a gift to put myself in the shoes of these beautiful characters. Plain and simple, John Green is a literary genius. Since reading TFIOS i've been a prodigy child trying to save the Republic (Legend, by Marie Lu), a girl trying to live through my first year of college away from my twin sister while escaping from my troubles writing fan fiction (Fangirl, by Rainbow Rowell), i've been stranded in a maze with strangers and my memory wiped clean (The Maze Runner, by James Dashner), felt every emotion of a confused girl in pain and desperation (Thirteen Reasons Why, by Jay Asher), fell in love with the boy next door (My Life Next Door, by Huntley Fitzpatrick), and have done and felt so much more! 

Since the day I finished TFIOS, I hope for more opportunities to put myself in other people's shoes. I want to feel those emotions, see fictitious worlds, and simply get lost in a book. I hope my love for reading continues throughout my years. For every time I pick up a book, I get the opportunity to be apart of that characters life. 

And that my friends, is how John Green gave me 1,000 lives.

Xoxo,

Hope

No comments:

Post a Comment